Sunday, August 5, 2012

A must-see documentary

Last week I had a great conversation with a coworker who asked me if I'd seen the documentary Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. I had, in fact, read about the film and knew generally what it was about, but I hadn't actually watched it yet. He highly recommended it and said in addition to it being extremely motivational and inspirational, it was a perfect example of what juicing can do for your health. 

So this morning I ventured onto iTunes and rented the documentary. I curled up in bed with my computer for a relaxing morning and happy watching. In addition to being entertaining, I realized if Joe Cross can juice for 60 days, I can make it AT LEAST five days. Not only that, but he's a wealthy dude, and at just over 300 pounds, I'm sure he was indulging in some pretty tasty foods. Much better than anything I've probably ever had. 

But something struck me when I was watching the many interviews about people's relationships and perceptions about food - society is not only uneducated about nutrition, but extremely ignorant. Several people said they'd rather "die fat and happy" than have to give up the "foods they love." And surprisingly, some young, overweight interviewees ball parked their death age at about 50-55! I have never considered being OK with dying that young!

So I have to question if these people are truly "happy." When I sit down to indulge in a food item I don't eat too often, I tend to overeat and then feel like total crap. Repeat this at every meal and I'm not exactly sure how anyone can be happy with themselves. It's my suspicion that these responses are defense mechanisms to their unhealthy habits. Regardless, I was baffled at the number of people uninterested in adding years to their lives. 

My ultimate goal is always to be healthy and happy. I enjoy the challenge of eating healthy, staying strong when others are indulging in unhealthy foods and pushing myself physically. At 24 years old, I hope I can maintain this outlook and attitude throughout my entire life. It's never easy to do what the majority of people are not doing, but that makes the journey on the road less traveled worth taking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment