Sunday, April 22, 2012

Grain free/sugar free brownies

As part of my weekend assignment I needed to find two dessert recipes that were Advanced Plan approved. I found this fantastic brownie recipe and made a few minor adjustments to make it grain free, sugar free and simply divine! I added Hershey's Sugar Free Chocolate Chips (sweetened with Maltitol) and shredded, unsweetened coconut for added flavor and texture.



The verdict: The brownie was rich and satisfying, exactly what my evening sweet tooth is looking for. I was more than satisfied with one brownie- no need to go back for more. They are fairly dense and the coconut provides some texture. I will definitely be enjoying these the rest of the week and will use this recipe in the future! 

Now for the more critical review from my skeptical boyfriend:

Tyler's verdict: "They are good... just different." "It kinda reminds me of carrot cake- I can feel the grainy coconut like the carrots in carrot cake." "It almost tastes like an Almond Joy." 

If you're hesitant about giving up sugar, don't be! These guilt-free brownies will reassure you that you will thrive in a sugar free environment! 

Grain Free/Sugar Free Brownies

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup chunky almond butter 
  • 1/2 cup canned coconut milk (full fat)

  • 2 eggs

  • 2 t vanilla extract

  • 1/4 tsp. salt

  • 1/4 cup Truvia
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

  • 1/3 cup chocolate chips (Hershey's Sugar Free Chocolate Chips)

  • 1/3 cup shredded coconut 


Directions:



  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease bottom of 9×9 inch pan.
  2. In a medium mixing bowl whisk together almond butter, coconut milk, eggs, vanilla, salt and sugar.
  3. Add cocoa and whisk until fully incorporated.
  4. Fold in chocolate chips and shredded coconut. 
  5. Pour ingredients into prepared pan and bake for 18 minutes, or until center is firm.



No comments:

Post a Comment