Sunday, June 10, 2012

Big discoveries and small wins

I've been away for awhile-- away as in mentally checked out. I've been struggling for the past year to find my "adult self" and really discover what it is that makes me happy. Really, truly, over the top, deep down happy. It's been a tough road and I've made a pretty huge discovery thanks to Maximized Living.

Well I guess not all credit goes there, but a lot certainly does. When I started the Advanced Plan I was super excited. Finally an escape from my sugar prison was on the horizon. Plus, I had a fun trip to Vegas planned, who wouldn't be excited for life. But when I got back, reality hit.

I haven't veered far off-plan. In fact, I don't think I've ate sugar or bread ever during this seemingly lost period; however, I was eating far too much. I would eat until I was stuffed. I loved the food we were making and I was finding that I was getting the same emotional satisfaction out of eating-- regardless of the ingredients.

So it was time to take a step back and discover my Max Mind. I have searched and searched and read and read about what it is that keeps me crawling back to this binge eating. And my most important discovery-- it had nothing to do with my environment. Not my workouts, not what I ate, not my relationship and not even work. It was all about me. My perspective sucked.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not quite where I'd like to be, but I am certainly on my way. Here's how:

I started journaling last week after I decided that I had far too much pent-up frustrations AND read in several articles that this often helps us cope with stress and anxiety. So sure, why not. I've done this a million times. My journal is like a default reaction to when I feel stressed or nervous or angry, but it never lasts more than a day. In addition to writing, I also spend time meditating at least 5 minutes a day. Figured hey, I can give that a shot too.

I let myself write freely on Monday and got out all the crap I wanted to. Then on Tuesday I decided that was over. If I wanted to move forward I could not fall into a pit of constant complaining. I forced myself to write only positives-- about everything. It took maybe one day for me to see an improvement in my attitude and self-talk. By the end of the week, I was radiating. And the best part, eating is not my priority.

I've gotten into the habit of following the Advanced Plan that my food choices are automatic. So that's easy. I don't constantly talk to myself about what I'm going to eat and when and if I'm hungry or not. Because quite frankly, if I never lose another pound, I'd rather be happy. I've now directed all efforts and focus on just that-- being happy and seeing value in everything that happens.

I'm only a week in, but I am anxious to see how much this effects every aspect of my wellness.

No comments:

Post a Comment